List Headline Image
Updated by RatingWell.com on Dec 04, 2014
 REPORT
11 items   0 followers   1 votes   104 views

Human Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Pets

Source: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets

Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine

KITTY JITTERS - Methylxanthines, found in cacao seeds of the plant used to make coffee, and the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Dark chocolate is the deadliest!

Alcohol

CHAMPAGNE, ANYONE? - Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death.

Avocado

THINK AVOCADOS ARE THE ULTIMATE FOOD? NOT FOR OLIVER, THEY'RE NOT - The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Birds and rodents are especially sensitive to avocado poisoning, and can develop congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart. Some may even be fatal.

Grapes & Raisins

HEARD IT THROUGH THE GRAPEVINE - Although the toxic substance within grapes and raisins is unknown, these fruits can cause kidney failure. In pets who already have certain health problems, signs may be more dramatic.

Onions, Garlic, Chives

ADD ZING TO YOUR COOKING, NOT TO YOUR PET'S - These vegetables and herbs can cause gastrointestinal irritation and could lead to red blood cell damage. Although cats are more susceptible, dogs are also at risk if a large enough amount is consumed. Toxicity is normally diagnosed through history, clinical signs and microscopic confirmation of Heinz bodies. An occasional low dose, such as what might be found in pet foods or treats, likely will not cause a problem, but we recommend that you do NOT give your pets large quantities of these foods.

Raw/Undercooked Meat, Eggs and Bones

NO YOLKING! - Rawmeat and raw eggs can contain bacteria such as Salmonella and E. coli that can be harmful to pets. In addition, raw eggs contain an enzyme called avidin that decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin), which can lead to skin and coat problems. Feeding your pet raw bones may seem like a natural and healthy option that might occur if your pet lived in the wild. However, this can be very dangerous for a domestic pet, who might choke on bones, or sustain a grave injury should the bone splinter and become lodged in or puncture your pet’s digestive tract.

Macadamia Nuts

NUTS ABOUT NUTS? Macadamia nuts are commonly used in many cookies and candies. However, they can cause problems for your canine companion. These nuts have caused weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last approximately 12 to 48 hours.

Yeast Dough

DON'T GET A RISE OUT OF YOUR PETS! - Yeast dough can rise and cause gas to accumulate in your pet’s digestive system. This can be painful and can cause the stomach or intestines to rupture. Because the risk diminishes after the dough is cooked and the yeast has fully risen, pets can have small bits of bread as treats. However, these treats should not constitute more than 5 percent to 10 percent of your pet’s daily caloric intake.

Xylitol

"SUGARLESS" AIN'T SWEET FOR GREEN-EYES - Xylitol is used as a sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods and toothpaste. It can cause insulin release in most species, which can lead to liver failure. The increase in insulin leads to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicosis include vomiting, lethargy and loss of coordination. Signs can progress to recumbancy and seizures. Elevated liver enzymes and liver failure can be seen within a few days.

6

Milk

Milk

LAND OF MILK AND BUNNY - Because pets do not possess significant amounts of lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose in milk), milk and other milk-based products cause them diarrhea or other digestive upset.

7

Salt

Salt

NO SALTY DOGS - Large amounts of salt can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death. In other words, keep those salty chips to yourself!

  • Listly By

    RatingWell.com is the official website of Media Consulting Services, a Web Marketing and Communications consulting firm, in business since 1990.
    We actively shop online to discover the best Web Marketing tools, and offer them to our clients and customers at discounted rates. At RatingWell.com, small businesses can choose tools and services that meet their immediate objectives. They can add to, take away from and upgrade their solutions as they grow. Solutions are also available in packages.
    Best of all, the RatingWell.com team offers the consulting help businesses need to choose and make the most out of their tools, backed by over two decades of marketing experience.
    Keep visiting RatingWell.com for new marketing ideas and programs, and see the difference we can make in your business.

  • Tools