A list of great apps, software programs and resources for people interested in digital storytelling. Created by @wfryer for the October 11, 2014, Classroom 2.0 LIVE webinar "Open Mic on Digital Storytelling." Learn more on:
With a streamlined design and intuitive Multi-Touch gestures, iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, create beautiful movies, and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — right in the Photos app.
Make every video more memorable
• Use the iMovie extension to enhance video clips right in the Photos app
• Add a video filter, animated title, and soundtrack to any clip
• Instantly save new video clips to your photo library
Browse and share your videos
• Enjoy all your videos in the full-screen Video browser
• Quickly share a clip or a portion of a clip
• Mark favorite moments to easily find them later
Make Hollywood-style trailers
• Choose from 14 trailer templates with stunning graphics and original scores by some of the world’s top film composers
• Customize movie studio logos, cast names, and credits
• Select the best videos and photos for your trailer with the help of animated drop zones
• Record video for your trailer right in iMovie
Create beautiful HD movies
• Choose from 8 unique themes with matching titles, transitions, and music
• Give your movie the perfect look with 10 Apple-designed video filters
• Enhance your movie with slow motion, fast forward, picture-in-picture, and split-screen effects*
• Create a soundtrack using built-in music and sound effects, songs from your music library, and your own narration
• Fine-tune your soundtrack with audio controls including trim, split, duplicate, and fade
Watch anywhere with iMovie Theater
• Fill iMovie Theater with posters as you share clips, trailers, and movies
• Access iMovie Theater on all your devices with iCloud
• Enjoy iMovie Theater on your HDTV with Apple TV
Share with friends and family
• Send videos with Mail and Messages
• Publish to YouTube, Facebook, Vimeo, and CNN iReport
• Save videos and iMovie project files to iCloud Drive
• Share videos and iMovie project files with AirDrop**
• Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream video to your HDTV with Apple TV***
** AirDrop requires an iCloud account and is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation), and later devices.
*** AirPlay requires Apple TV (2nd generation) or later.
The first-ever Audacity Unconference (AU14) was a great success. Everyone remarked how informative, convivial, and energizing it was. We had excellent tutorials about amazing things that can be done with Audacity, as well as hints at astonishng progress on major new features and capabilites to come.
Video beyond the box. Popcorn Maker makes it easy to enhance, remix and share web video.
Share your videos with friends, family, and the world
The official YouTube Creator Studio app makes it faster and easier to manage your channel on the go. Check out your latest stats, respond to comments, and get customized notifications so you can stay connected from anywhere.
WeVideo is the leading online video creation platform for video editing, collaboration, and sharing across iPhone, iPad, Android, Chromebook, MAC, PC.
iTalk Recorder is a full-featured recording app with a streamlined and intuitive user interface. Press the big red button to record; press it again to stop. You can append to existing recordings, choose from three levels of recording quality (11.025, 22.05, or 44.10 kHz sample rates), and manage your recordings, all with just a fingertip.
You can email recordings straight from iTalk. iTalk also supports direct file sharing through iTunes.
Whether you're recording minutes of a meeting, a lecture, or the sounds of birds singing in a meadow far from any electrical outlets, iTalk Recorder puts the sound quality you need in the palm of your hand.
• High-quality handheld recording
• Easy, convenient user interface and controls
• Email your recordings directly from iTalk
• Supports iTunes File Sharing
• Auto-noise cancellation (on iPhone 4)
• Built-in search function to locate recordings by title
• User-selectable Good, Better, Best sound quality (11.025, 22.05, or 44.10 kHz sample rates)
NOTE FOR iOS 7 & 8 Users: When launching this app for the first time (either as a new purchase or following your device's OS upgrade), please tap OK when iTalk requests permission to access your device's microphone. If you're experiencing blank recordings, please ensure Microphone access is enabled. In the app, go to Settings>Privacy>Microphone and enable iTalk.
View full lesson: http://ed.ted.com/lessons/what-makes-a-hero-matthew-winkler What trials unite not only Harry Potter or Frodo Baggins but many of literature's most interesting heroes? And what do ordinary people have in common with these literary heroes? Matthew Winkler takes us step-by-step through the crucial events that make or break a hero.
SoundCloud lets you hear more music & audio.
Find new and trending music. Collect tracks and playlists. Follow friends and artists. Discover podcasts, comedy and news.
Wherever you are. Whatever you’re doing. The SoundCloud app lets you hear more.
More hip hop. More rock. More electronic. More classical. More house, jazz, audiobooks, sports…
It’s easy to dive straight in and start discovering music & audio.
Try the Explore section to find trending music & audio of just about every genre you can think of.
As you explore, tap the heart to ‘like’ and save your favorites for later playback.
The Search page lets you find your favorite tracks, and artists. Follow their profiles so you can listen to the new music they post in your Stream.
PRAISE FOR SOUNDCLOUD
“SoundCloud is focused on building out a massive trove of content, weaving it all into the Web and making it easier to share. The “YouTube for audio” analogy looks increasingly apt, especially if its metrics continue to shoot skyward.” - ReadWrite
“SoundCloud is a sharing machine. Remember the early days of audio online — when you had to download the Real Player or Windows Media Player to listen? The days of downloading before listening are over.” - USA Today
“It's an evolution of audio's most vital self-service creation and discovery platform, music's best analogue to Twitter, YouTube, and Kindle Direct Publishing. It's not just finding or sharing songs or podcasts or spoken-word readings your friends may be listening to — it's finding and sharing the people who make those recordings, too.” - The Verge
Like what you hear? Let us know, and share your discoveries with the world.
SoundCloud Blog: http://blog.soundcloud.com
The more you tell us, the better SoundCloud gets.
Your privacy is really important to us. We only ask for the permissions we need for the app to be at its best.
If you have any more questions get in touch with us - see the help section.
This app is only available in English.
The official Auphonic App for free automatic audio post production. This App brings your recordings and sound files up to a professional audio standard.
• High-quality audio recording with level display
• Encoding in MP3, Opus, AAC/MP4, Ogg Vorbis, ALAC, FLAC, WAV and more
• Audio Post Production Algorithms via the Auphonic Web Service (see below)
• Share your recordings automatically via Dropbox, (S)FTP, Amazon S3, YouTube, SoundCloud, Libsyn or Archive.org
• Optimal metadata management and chapter marks support for all file formats
Audio Post Production Algorithms:
• Intelligent Leveler: balances levels between speakers, music and speech – no compressor knowledge required
• Loudness Normalization to new broadcast standards: EBU R128, ATSC A/85, mobile audio and more
• Automatic Noise Reduction: classifies regions with different backgrounds and automatically removes noise
• Automatic Hum Reduction
• Filtering of disturbing low frequencies
• For more information see audio examples at https://auphonic.com/audio_examples
Auphonic develops new algorithms in the area of music information retrieval and audio signal processing to create an automatic audio post production web service for broadcasters, podcasts, radio shows, audio books, lecture recordings, screencasts and more.
Users just upload their recorded audio and Auphonic will do the rest: neither complicated parameter settings nor audio expert knowledge is necessary.
Podcast from iOS, no PC needed.
"A podcasting powerhouse"
"BossJock is certainly one of the best in its category (for me, the Best!). One Killer App!!!"
- Apps4iDevices.com 4/4 Guitars "Killer App"
"...if you podcast on the go, you should adore this app."
- AppSafari 4.5/5 Stars
"My Best in Show"
- Dave Jackson, School of PodCasting .com
"Makes the show an actual performance, not an edit job."
- Sean Duregger (@geekCouch)
Podcasters, Voiceover Artists, DJs, this is your app. Life without fan noise is good! bossjock studio makes it easy to create and publish rich audio productions on your iPhone and iPad.
bossjock is not an audio editor or multitrack recorder. Visit our homepage at bossjockstudio.com to see the app in action.
bossjock studio production happens in real time. Grab some good headphones. Load up your soundboard. Fine tune your show notes. Hit record, trigger the mic and go. Recordings are podcast ready, no need for post production.
Record your voice while triggering intros/outros, bumpers and background music all on-the-fly.
Dynamics processing (Compression/Limiting) is automatically applied to the mic and mix for loud, level audio.
Full VoiceOver compatibility for visually impaired producers.
Up to 16 Carts on the iPhone 5 and 35 Carts on the iPad duck and fade behind the mic for dynamic sound and smooth transitions.
Load carts with audio from your Music Library, Dropbox, Wifi, or AudioPaste from other music apps.
Advanced Cart editing lets you fine tune playback in and out points on a per cart basis as well as Cart color and behaviors including looping, fades, auto-rewind and ducking.
Audiobus lets you receive live audio from other Audiobus-compatible apps as a Cart or Mic source or use bossjock studio to feed other Audiobus-compatible recording apps. See http://audiob.us for more information.
Encodes to all your favorite formats – Mp3, m4a, Wav, Aiff with image and description metadata.
Exports to FTP for Podcasters, Email for Audioboo via BooMail, Dropbox, Soundcloud, Wifi, iTunes Share, and AudioCopy to other apps.
Works with external mics like the Apogee Mic, IK Multimedia iRig Mic Cast and Blue Mikey (audio tests on bossjockstudio.com).
In honor of the "Boss Jocks" who ruled the airwaves in the 60's - bossjock studio is crafted by Libsyn co-founder Dave Mansueto and Ed Filowat, creator of the kilojam audio engine.
Recordings made with bossjock speak for themselves! Listen to it in action on http://bossjockstudio.com
follow us on facebook.com/bossjockapp
and twitter @bossjockapp
PhotoSync - wireless transfer, backup and share photo and video files from and to computer, iOS devices, Android devices, Google, Dropbox, Picasa, Flickr, OneDrive, SmugMug, NAS (WebDav, FTP) and more
It's hassle free! Place photos, notes, documents and contacts onto your Flicktop and flick to any other device running the app. The built-in Flicktop provides a safe layer where files are easily transferred with a simple flick gesture. Once the file lands on your Flicktop you can then decide whether to save or delete it.
"With all the...not so great apps out there...it was a breath of fresh air to try your app." - AppAdvice.com
Splice together HD photos and videos in an amazingly simple way. Add music tracks from your iPod library, sound effects, transitions, borders, effects (like Ken Burns, slow motion and fast forward), trim video and audio, narrate with your own voice, and much more. (Available on the iPhone 4/3GS and iPod Touch running iOS 4.2)
WHAT'S NEW in Version 2.0:
HD support, advanced audio editing, in-app purchase of music/sound fx/borders, Ken Burns, slow motion, fast forward, custom video trimmer, custom photo/video picker that allows time-saving bulk imports onto timeline, multiple audio tracks, scrub on preview, help screen, feedback button, and many other user interface, performance and usability improvements.
Splice allows you to create and edit videos from start to finish via your iPhone or iPod Touch with no laptop or desktop computer necessary. The power of Hollywood is now with you, anytime, anywhere.
Splice is the most advanced, portable video editing and audio production mobile application on the market.
Splice puts you in total control, allowing users to assemble video clips, music, photos, visual effects, text, audio mixing, and creative expression, along with exacting synchronization of sound effects and voice-overs. Your only limit is your imagination.
Splice offers a host of special features that cannot be found on any other portable video editing/production app, thereby delivering a high level of sophistication coupled with ease of use.
Splice EXCLUSIVE features include:
• Simple, easy-to-use ‘drop-and-drag’ features for assembling video clips and photos
• Splice Store with hundreds of sound effects, music tracks and borders that can be purchased to enhance your videos
• Time-saving multi photo/video picker for adding new content to the timeline
• Control and mix for multiple tracks of audio
• Intuitive and easy to use time line
• Precise synchronization of music tracks, sound effects and a narration track
Other Splice features:
• Output in HD quality (only on HD devices)
• Ability to add music from iTunes or other music sources
• Preloaded with music and sound effects
• Ability to add visual effects (such as slow motion and fast forward)
• Ability to transitions
• Ability to apply Ken Burns effects to photos and videos
• Ability to title slides with custom text positioning and resizing
Our award-winning technical team is committed to delivering the best video production application possible. We are excited by the possibilities and value your feedback as we help Splice users share their world with the rest of the world.
Directr is the easiest way to make great video. Our unique storyboard-driven creation process helps you easily make great video you'll be excited to share.
If you need help, please email email@example.com.
PLUS - Handcrafted storyboards with professional guidance, music, titles and more:
*Parental supervision is recommended for maximum fun.
Build your own LEGO® adventure, then capture your story!
Help your child bring their LEGO characters to life with the LEGO Movie Maker App. This fun, kid-friendly app brings the whole family together to create a custom LEGO stop-motion movie.
Simple tools and guides make it easy to shoot, edit, and even score your movie with music. Add one of the customizable title cards then share it online and, who knows, you may have the next summer blockbuster in your hands…literally!
-Add & delete frames to your movie
-Choose from 7 different soundtracks, or add music from your library
-Add a color filter to the camera
-Customize different title cards
-Save your movie to your camera roll
-Add text to your movie with custom dialog cards
-Add LEGO sound effects to any frame
-Record your own sound effects
-Edit the duration of each frame
LEGO Movie Maker works on iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad devices with camera and supports operating systems of iOS5 and up. Although devices with only a front facing camera are supported, we recommend a rear facing camera for an optimal experience
Must be 18 or older to download.
For app support contact LEGO Consumer Service.
For contact details refer to http://service.lego.com/contactus
Read more on http://aboutus.lego.com/legal-notice/Privacy-Policy and http://aboutus.lego.com/en-us/legal-notice/terms-of-use-for-apps
LEGO and the LEGO logo are trademarks of the LEGO Group. ©2013 The LEGO Group.
This one’s also simple to use. You select your frames-per-second rate, press “capture frames” and hit the screen to add a new frame. When you’re done, press “elaborate movie” and it will save to your Camera Roll. I like this app the best out of the three because it gives you the ability to save a project to work on later and it also has an edit function so you can remove frames you’re not so thrilled about. I think that’s awesome because if you’re anything like me, things don’t always come out perfectly the first time and you need a do-over button. I can’t believe I just admitted that...
Stop Motion Cafe is a competent app that is easy to use and boasts some great features for longer-term projects.
Using the app is simple, you just select your frames-per-second rate, hit "capture frames" and then tap the screen to add.
This app's stand-out features are the ability to save down a project and continue work on it, and an edit function that lets you remove individual frames if you make a mistake.
When you're done, hitting "Elaborate Movie" will save it to your Camera Roll.
Simple, powerful STOP-MOTION and TIME-LAPSE application!!
Capture sequences of images and create a movie.
Pick the Images touching the screen or with time intervals, edit and create your movie to export to Camera Roll.
- HD Video 720p.
- Support of multiple projects.
- Can see last frame in transparency (Onion-Ghost skin)
- Edit Images. (Add from Camera Roll, Duplicate, Delete, Move)
- Multi Camera Orientation.
- Touch the screen for instant snapshot.
- Camera orientation TOP selectable, is it possible to make rotating video.
- Front camera support.
- Timer adjustable with warning beep.
- Selectable fps.
- Frames exportable to camera Roll.
- Export movie and frames in itunes (save HD video in 3GS)
- Twitter Connection
Tested on iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPad2
Featured in "Best New Apps in Education" in iTunes. Green Screen by Do Ink makes it easy to create incredible green screen videos and images right on your iPad. Classroom-tested by kids and teachers, this app emphasizes ease-of-use and simplicity while still enabling you to get fantastic results. With Green Screen by Do Ink, you can tell a story, explain an idea, and express yourself in truly creative and unique ways.
You know what a "green screen" effect is, right? It's used in the movies to make it look like the actors have landed on an alien planet, and it's used on TV to make it look like your local news announcer is standing in front of an animated weather map. The green screen effect works by combining images from multiple sources into a single video. These images can come from photos or videos in your camera roll, or from the live video camera.
Green Screen by Do Ink has all the features you need to make great green screen videos, including:
• use the live video camera, or import prerecorded videos, photos, and artwork
• combine up to 3 image sources at a time
• record videos in high definition (720p) or standard definition (480p) formats*
• capture still images and save them to the camera roll
• scrollable timeline makes it easy to sequence your videos and photos
• add as many image sources to the timeline as you’d like!
• move image sources around on the timeline
• trim videos on the timeline to keep only the parts you need
• mix audio tracks from your videos and from the live camera
• easy color picker tool to set the chroma key color
• use the front or back camera
• preview your video before you save it
• save recorded videos to your camera roll (and from there to YouTube, email, etc.)
• create multiple projects and reusable templates
Making videos with Green Screen by Do Ink is really fun, and you can use it to make movies that entertain and amaze. But there are loads of practical uses for this app, too! Use it to explain ideas visually, to make more compelling presentations, to tell stories that engage your audience. Whether it’s for fun, for school, or for work, Green Screen by Do Ink makes it easy to express yourself in a unique and captivating way.
Tips for Getting Great Results
You can make a decent green screen video under less than ideal conditions, and you can make a really great video by taking a few extra steps:
The quality and color of the backdrop you use makes a difference. Your results can be improved if your backdrop is a bright, fully saturated color and if it's made from a matte, non-reflective material. You can find an inexpensive green muslin backdrop online by searching for a "green screen backdrop".
Good lighting helps. You don't need special "movie lights", but you'll find that your results improve when your backdrop and subject are well lit. Minimizing shadows on your backdrop can also help considerably.
Make sure that objects in your video (including people and clothing) aren't similar in color to your backdrop - otherwise, they'll be transparent!
Consider mounting your iPad on a tripod or stand. Holding your camera still while recording in front of a green screen can improve the quality of your video.
Experiment with the chroma key color and sensitivity settings. Getting them right makes a big difference.
*Note that the front-facing cameras on iPad 2 and 3 models don't support 720p video; in this case, the app records video at a lower resolution and scales it up.
Created by the team behind www.doink.com, an animation site of 400,000 users worldwide who created 2 million pieces of art, as well as Do Ink Animation and Drawing for the iPad, featured in App Store Essentials: Painting and Drawing" and recipient of the Editor's Choice Award from Children's Technology Review, and Doink Express, an iPhone app for quickly creating animations with photos, drawings, art "props" and sound.
Please send any suggestions, feedback or questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share your trailers with the world or export them directly to your photo library. InAWorld now comes with 5 ways to share your movie trailers. Instantly export your trailer and email it, message it, airdrop it, or post it to Facebook and Vimeo.
NOTE: If you have downloaded it previously then please delete and install again. This will ensure you receive future updates.
Professional Tele-prompting software for your iPad.
Use your Apple iPad as a professional teleprompter for location reporting, corporate video productions, info-mercials, video blogs, podcasts and all types of public event speaking.
Smooth Scrolling – in both landscape or portrait modes, with mirrored or standard text alignments.
Fast Script Download to i-Prompt software via simple email or document cut and paste text copying.
Instant Script Editing and Timing – use i-Prompt’s in-built text editor for those last minute changes to content and timing.
Control Prompting Speed - adjust the speed of your prompting script with menu driven settings or the custom wireless controller (supplied when purchasing the complete
i-Prompter kit, go to http://www.i-prompter.com/ for further details.
Fully Customisable Prompting Screen Display - adjust the font type, font size, and on-screen text/background colours.
Software application currently is English only.
Script/Text import (cut & paste) and Direct Type supports;
English (U.S), English (UK), French (France), German, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Dutch, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Korean, Japanese, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Ukrainian, Arabic, Thai, Czech, Greek, Hebrew, Indonesian, Malay, Romanian, Slovak, and Croatian.
Compatible with iPad WiFi an WiFi + 3G
Some features of i-Prompt Pro will only be enabled when the optional i-Control remote wired controller is connected.
This accessory can be purchased at www.i-prompter.com or from any of the international resellers listed there.
These features are:
Mirroring of text when using traditional teleprompters with beamsplitter glass.
Composite or VGA video out when using either of the two Apple cable accessories.
** One of Time's 50 Must-Have iPad Apps - April 2013 **
** Two time PCmag.com Editor’s Choice Award winner and 4.5/5 stars – April 2012 & Feb 2013 **
** Join over 500,000 creative people already using this app! **
Big-screen moviemaking comes to the touchscreen with Pinnacle® Studio for iPad. Our leading film-editing technology brings you an easy-to-use app that enables you to quickly edit video, audio, and photos at the speed of your creativity.
Swiftly arrange your clips in the Storyboard, make precision edits using the Timeline, and add high-quality transitions, effects, and a soundtrack. Enjoy 1080p output support and share your movie directly to YouTube, Facebook, Box and more—or export your project to Pinnacle® Studio for the PC and continue editing with even more advanced tools.
Easily Access Your Media
- Work with any media on your device—video, audio, and photos
- Access media from external devices via an iPad Camera Connection Kit (sold separately)
- Access media from Box, Vimeo, Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft Skydrive (in-app purchase)
- Capture video and photos from within the app
- Organize media by Albums, Events, Faces, and more
- Easily navigate your project with intuitive gestures
- Swiftly arrange clips in the Storyboard
- Make precise edits and trim individual frames in the Timeline and Precision Trimmer
- Easily replace one clip with another
- Create slow motion and fast motion effects
- Use Montage templates to create multi-layer 3D animations, transitions, and titles
- Help your story flow using 16 transitions—including high-quality dissolves, fades, and more
- Generate professional-looking motion titles and graphics with full control over text, font, color, size, position, and rotation
- Create amazing Picture-in-Picture effects with full control over position, size, and rotation
- Pan and zoom on your photos to create high-impact slideshows
- Enjoy full-screen playback
- Use your own audio or choose from the included sound effects
- Trim audio to any length, set levels, and fade audio in or out
- Use the Voiceover feature to add documentary-style narration to your videos and slideshows
- Easily share your movies via YouTube, Facebook, Box, and more
- Export projects to Pinnacle Studio for the PC
- Enjoy full 1080p output support
Pro Technology, Pro Results
- Easy enough for the hobbyist, powerful enough for the pro
All of the products in the Vegas software family make it easy to import and edit movies, images, and music so you can jump right in and start creating your next video or audio masterpiece. Whether you're a beginner, an experienced filmmaker, or a professional broadcast producer, there is a Vegas solution to meet your needs.